Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Review of Her Best Shot by Shannyn Schroeder



Synopsis: 

With college graduation looming, three childhood friends vow to make spring break their last blast of pure fun. But at least one of them didn't count on such incredible heat… 

Layla Sharpe is definitely more math ninja than bikini babe, and her future has been calculated with razor precision. Convinced to let loose over spring break, Layla is finally ready to party—until her car breaks down halfway to her destination, leaving her stranded in Georgia with a mouthwateringly hot pool shark. She knows more than enough about angles to learn the game, but this week she wants him to appreciate her curves… 

Phin Marks has never met a girl like Layla. She’s more Star Wars geek than seductress, and when he offers her a place to stay while her car is in the shop, he’s counting on the attraction between them to set the nights ablaze, no strings attached. But every moment he spends with Layla makes it harder to let her go. Can he persuade her to gamble in the most dangerous way possible…on forever?

Leia's Review:

When Layla decides to head south to meet her best friend for spring break, she has no idea what life has in store for her. 
After having her car break down in Atlanta, Layla meets Phin – a sexy, mysterious pool shark. They have an instant attraction that is hard to ignore. Once Layla thinks her luck is looking up, her purse is stolen, leaving her stranded and alone with no money or identification in a big city. Phin offers her a place to stay until she can figure everything out. But neither of them is expecting that one week together could change everything. 

This was a good short story. The writing was good. The plot was good. The storytelling was good.
But I didn’t find anything exceptional from the experience. I actually had a hard time connecting with the characters. I felt like both Phin and Layla lacked a depth that I normally crave. 

I am also not a huge fan of the insta-love concept in books. At all. And with the characters being a little two-dimensional, I couldn’t connect with the love that they had for each other. 

I did find the concept of the story interesting. And I loved that Layla was a bit of a geek. She wasn’t a super model. She wasn’t a rich heiress. She was just a normal girl with a little geek to her. 
And Phin was different as well. I don’t think I have ever read a story about a gypsy before, so that was an original concept and one that I found interesting. I would have loved for the author to dig deeper into these characters because I feel like they both had such promise. 

I realize that I may be in the minority with my opinions on this book, considering the rating that it has. And that’s okay. Not every book is for every person. I will say, that overall the book held my interest. It just lacked some of the qualities that make a bookexcellent for me. 

3 – 3.5 Stars

I was generously provided with a copy of this book by the author via NetGalley for my honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment