Sunday, September 20, 2015

Reviews for the Awakening Series by A.T. Hills


The Venetian Awakening
Book One in the Awakening Series
By A. T. Hills





Synopsis

Millie Campbell is a sarcastic 32 year old with insecurities galore but is quite content with her life. She has her awesome best friend Esther, her gay best friend Jeremy, a steady day job and has finally found the man she wants to marry. However, along with Millie, you are chucked in at the deep end of her insecurities and heartache when Ben Harris, her perfect, handsome, fantastic between the sheets boyfriend comes clean about a secret he has been hiding.
After Ben reveals his true feelings to her about his new predilection, Millie is left to pick up the pieces of her shattered heart with help from her ever eager group of girlfriends. Of course the girls all have problems of their own, but together with alcohol, nibbles and their weekly catch-ups, they can conquer the world.
Buckle up as you follow Millie, Jeremy and Ben on their journey of heart breaks, holidays and self-discovery in the beautiful lagoon city that is Venice.

***This can be read as a standalone novel, but does set the scene for the rest of the books in the series.***

Teaser


Review 

Let me begin by saying that book one in this series was my least favorite. It has the beginning of a good plot line, but there is way too much noise (unnecessary detail) throughout the entire book. It made for a dull read that ended with me forcing myself not to skim through the pages. Nevertheless, I continued on because I did want to know where this bizarre story went. I say bizarre because the circumstances in this book are far from what one would consider normal. Millie had a good life and was happy with how everything was going, but when Ben, her long time boyfriend, tells her a secret he’s been keeping from her, her whole world crashes down around her. Millie turns to her friends, but mainly her gay friend Jeremy for support. Jeremy decided that Millie needs some time away and so he whisks her off to Venice. I was shocked. I didn’t see that coming at all. When Millie comes back, her world is changed. The plot line had me wanting more, but the writing itself was just too detailed. 2 stars



Awake in Berlin
Book Two in the Awakening Series


Synopsis

At 32, Millie Campbell thought she had it all; friends, a career, family and love. But all of those things are tested in the second instalment of the Awakening series. After deciding to give things ago with her newfound bisexual bestie Jeremy, Millie starts to wonder if she’s made the wrong decision when he starts to act suspiciously. As Jeremy’s actions become deceitful, Millie’s distrust take her and her best-friend-for-life Esther, (who also has her share of men faux pas) across the continent to Berlin, the most fetish friendly city in the world, to try and catch him out in a lie. I mean what could go wrong? Right? In this emotional roller coaster sequel, the funny one liners, heart-warming words and relationship complications will have you itching to turn the page to read what could possibly happen next.

Teaser

 
 Review

This book was by far the best book in the series in my opinion. Scandal and suspense made me want to push on further into the book. Millie has finally found what makes her happy… or so she thinks. There is so much going on in this book. Between the drama with her personal life and the drama with her professional life, there was no way I could put this book down. There was a huge difference in writing style between this book and the first in this series, so much so, that had I not known that this book was the second in the series, I would have guessed that a different person wrote it. The growth between this book and book one is tremendous. The fact that this book had me on the edge of my seat and ready for more is evidence of this change. 4 stars.
 

Asleep in Paradise
Book Three in the Awakening Series



Synopsis

Boyfriend-less, possibly jobless and with her life spiralling out of control, Millie Campbell feels like she’s in hell.

After everything her and Jeremy have been through, especially the Berlin fiasco, she thought the pair of them had come through the other end of their issues and would be stronger than ever. However, Millie’s world begins to spiral when Jeremy, very suddenly and without much of an explanation, calls off their relationship causing her to be thrown into an uncertain, angry and unbearable future of failure.

With her best friend Esther loved up with her new beau, Millie feels truly alone and almost drowns in her own emotions. However, a sad twist of fate brings her once again closer to Ben Harris, the ex- boyfriend who broke her heart. The one who she didn’t stop loving and who has mutual love for her too. In the penultimate book of the Awakening series, can the ultimate love triangle that is Millie Campbell and Jeremy Powell versus Ben Harris ever be solved? Who, if any, will get their happily ever after?

Join Millie and the boys as you read through the highs, lows, weddings, deaths and sex that is their irregular life. You’ll certainly need to look beyond the boundaries of ‘normal’ in this tale.

Teaser



Review

Scandal, deceit, and lies oh my! I really enjoyed reading this series… well, most of it anyway. This is the conclusion to the first two books, and let me tell you, it is filled with so many unexpected twists and turns, that I found it difficult to put down. The difference between this book and book two in this series is that this book is off the rails abnormal. The things that are in this book are not the things that we expect to happen in real life. I guess that’s what had me so enthralled. The fact that this is fiction and fantasy, versus the logical choices that could have been made, make it that much more of an enjoyable read. This is one of those books that make you question certain life decisions. Millie has the attention of not one, but two men who love her enough to do anything for her. And when I say anything, I really do mean ANYTHING. I find it adorable and inspiring. By the end of this book, I’m left wanting more. I have questions that need answers! My imagination won’t cut it on this one. All in all, I am glad that I had a chance to read this series. It was a definite eye opener, and a change of pace from the other books I have read. 3.5 stars. ~Tab


 



No comments:

Post a Comment