Friday, August 1, 2014

Review of The Real Thing by Cassie Mae


Synopsis: 

Eric Matua has one friend—his best friend and childhood sweetheart, who needs a place to stay for the summer. Mia Johnson has thousands of friends—who live in her computer. Along with her email chats and Facebook notifications, Mia also devours romance novels, spending countless hours with fictional characters, dreaming of her own Romeo to sweep her off her feet. When she starts receiving supersweet messages from a stranger who thinks she’s someone else, Mia begins to believe that real love is possible outside her virtual world. 

When the two friends become roommates, Mia finds herself falling harder than she ever thought she could. But Eric keeps his desires locked away, unsure of himself and his ability to give his best friend what she deserves in a boyfriend. As her advances are continually spurned, Mia splits her time between Eric and her computer. But she soon realizes she’s about to lose the only real thing she’s ever had.

Leia's Review: 

The Real Thing was the first book I have ever read by Cassie Mae. 
This was an absolutely adorable book about figuring out what is really important in life. 

Mia Johnson is a technology fanatic. Twitter, Facebook, E-books, Emails and online reading clubs are her thing! This is great – because, well, it’s my thing too. Through her social media, she has been able to keep up with her high school best friend (and guy she’s always had a crush on), Eric. Now she is off to spend the summer with him at his beach condo. 

Only Mia doesn’t realize, Eric isn’t the same Eric. He’s older, more mature and super sexy! Eric has always been in love with Mia. However, a high school relationship changed him. Already struggling with anxiety, this relationship pushed him over the edge. And he hasn’t had one since. Doesn’t know if he can. But he’s willing to try – if he could just get past his insecurities and try with Mia. 

As Mia and Eric try to transition from friends to…more, their relationship faces challenge after challenge of learning each other in a new capacity. I will say, first and foremost, I LOVED Eric. He was sweet and cautious, but he loves deeply and flawlessly. 

“You’ve always been that girl. You’re beautiful, and funny, and loud, and everyone likes you, wants to be around you. You’re my best friend, and I want you.” 

Mia has to juggle trying to balance her social media world with the real world, and that challenge proves more trying that she realizes at first. And Eric has to confront fears that he has had imbedded into him. Breaking away from your norm is always scary. But what happens when the potential of facing those fears is so huge! Can Mia and Eric break away from their pasts and habits to find something together in the future? 

“Scary things can be beautiful.” 

This was a great book that continued to hold my interest. The only real thing I struggled with was Mia. I hate to say it, but she drove me a little nuts! I am a social media geek too. I love connecting with people who “get” me and my love of book boyfriends. But there is a balance to life. And she struggled so hard to find that. 
Overall, I enjoyed this book. And I look forward to reading more from Cassie Mae! 

3.5 Stars

*ARC kindly provided by the author via NetGalley for my honest review*



No comments:

Post a Comment