Saturday, August 9, 2014

Review - Getting Tackled by Lorraine Loveit

Review for Getting Tackled-2nd Quarter: Paying the Penalty by Lorraine Loveit




Synopsis:

What happens when a first-time dominant and submissive come together?

The answer is a great deal of heartache.

Brendon is an AFL footballer who advertises on the internet for a submissive. Suzie, a secretary at Homicide Squad, is curious and answers his ad.

Theirs is a story plagued with anguish and subjugation, as they each struggle to find themselves; from the thrills of power play to the depths of self-degradation. They are both inexperienced in the roles they play and as this tragic relationship develops, Brendon and Suzie each realise they want more.

With the start of the football season, their relationship is public and Suzie finds herself caught up in the whirlwind of attending games and associated functions, being part of a select group known as wags (wives and girlfriend).

Brendon makes even more demands of her, to prove her total commitment to him. Suzie comes under the notice of Leon Graham, who believes she likes him, while she is initially unaware of his existence. Graham’s obsession continues to escalate, to the point where Suzie’s police squad become involved.

NOTE: THIS IS BOOK 2 IN A SERIES. I DID NOT READ BOOK 1.

Let me first start off by saying, I liked the plot of this story. Unfortunately, that was the only thing I liked about it. It was a very difficult read for me. The writing itself was very unbalanced. Some parts were very rushed, whereas, others were full of detail and seemed to drag on. The extra detail seemed to come at boring parts in the story and were unnecessary. I disagree that this book can be read as a stand alone. Everything felt empty to me. I didn't feel the passion I should have felt. Without reading the first one, I feel I missed out on getting to know the main characters. There are some details and I can get a general idea from the second book on what went on in the first book, but it felt like it just wasn't enough. I normally love reading about dom/sub relationships, that was not the case with this book. I felt like Brendan was more into humiliating Suzie than just controlling her. Yes, being able to humiliate a sub is part of controlling them, but it felt out of place, like it wasn't about control. I didn't like Brendan all throughout the book until the very end. I kind of started to feel the love. Suzie, on the other hand, was in love with him from the beginning and it was obvious. Now understand that I am one of those strong, independent women, who believes no woman should ever change herself for a man or anyone else, especially not physically. So needless to say, I really did not like Suzie in the beginning. Throughout the book it only got worse and I still didn't like her at the end. She changed everything about herself. Some for the better and some for the worse. I feel like there should have been a lot more detail about Leon. It was like BAM! crazy man all of a sudden thrown in there, then it was all over. I felt like there was not enough WHY in this book. I should probably go back and read book 1 in this series, but until then I give this book 2.5 stars.

~Review done by Tab~

No comments:

Post a Comment