Monday, April 21, 2014

Review of Out of Breath by Rebecca Donovan


Synopsis:

Emma leaves Weslyn and everyone in it behind to attend Stanford University, just as she always intended. A shell of her former self, she is not the same girl. She is broken, and the only way that she’ll be whole again is through forgiveness. Emma must find a way to forgive herself and recognize her own worth before she can receive the love she deserves. This final installment will have readers holding their breath until the very last page


Leia’s Review:

Rebecca Donovan, you owe me a manicure!!! 

This was literally nail biting. 

I have waited for this book for a little over a year. It’s probably one of my most anticipated books….EVER. I was terrified going into it that it may not live up to hype that I had built up for it. 

I was wrong. 

This book ripped my heart out, shattered it, and put it back together again. It’s taken me over 12 hours to process it just so I can write a review. 

This book starts out 2 years after the end of Barely Breathing. Emma is a different person than she was during Reason to Breathe and Barely Breathing. I am going to be honest, she was dark. Really dark. And I was angry with her for the first half of the book. I was angry at the person she had let herself become, angry with the choices she made and angry at the fact she let so many people dictate her life when she had always been so much stronger than that. 

And then we had probably the most tragic moment of this book – and I was still angry at Emma. Just pissed at what she had allowed to happen to herself. But then she receives something that completely shatters her. And I was wrecked with sobs. I felther pain. It was real. I could physically feel the blow she had taken. I felt guilty for ever being angry at her because I realized she had no way to cope with the disasters that had happened in her life. 

Evan and Sara keep trying to pull her out from the dark place that she has succumbed to. When Evan finds a way to help her release her pain in a healthy way – I sagged with relief. It was a weight lifted from me. But there was still so much guilt and pain in her. 

Evan is a new person in this book – I fell hopelessly in love with him in Reason to Breathe – it was impossible not to. The man he became in Out of Breath was….I just can’t put in to words how much I loved him. 
He was stronger. He was determined. He was vigilant. 

Their relationship developed so well throughout this book. The connection that they made was electric. They always had something special, and I loved that. But it was always overshadowed by secrets and lies and one person trying to protect the other. Finally accepting that neither of them can do that they are able to move forward, and while they don’t want to “relive” the past…they both understand that they have to “revisit” it so that they can grow together. 

I can honestly say that I don’t think I have ever been more emotionally invested in characters like I was with the characters in this series. Even the secondary characters, like Sara. The emotion that Rebecca Donovan was able to convey to us from the first line in Reason to Breathe to the last line of Out of Breath was so real and raw. I screamed, I cried, I laughed and I healed. 

This book was the perfect ending to this unbelievable series. I couldn’t have asked for more (well, I could – because I can never get enough Evan). 

Thank you, Mrs. Donovan for solidifying all the reasons I love to read.

*5 Breathtaking Stars*

No comments:

Post a Comment