Friday, February 28, 2014

Review of Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan


Synopsis: 

When Bree Prescott arrives in the sleepy, lakeside town of Pelion, Maine, she hopes against hope that this is the place where she will finally find the peace she so desperately seeks. On her first day there, her life collides with Archer Hale, an isolated man who holds a secret agony of his own. A man no one else sees. 

Archer's Voice is the story of a woman chained to the memory of one horrifying night and the man whose love is the key to her freedom. It is the story of a silent man who lives with an excruciating wound and the woman who helps him find his voice. It is the story of suffering, fate, and the transformative power of love. 




Leia's Review: 


"Sometimes an understanding silence was better than a bunch of meaningless words." 

What an exceptionally beautiful story full of love, compassion and overcoming obstacles. 

This is the story or Archer Hale and Bree Prescott - two individuals who have been subject to horrid events throughout their lives. 

Bree is running. Archer is hiding. Together they learn to live. 

Honestly, I was hesitant to read this book because I knew going into it that Archer was mute. And I worried about how that would affect the story – how I would be able to connect to a character that I was so vastly different from. And now, I sit here shaking my head at myself. Scorning myself for my preconceived notions that an author like Mia Sheridan wouldn’t be able to pull off such a complex plot. 

It took about 4 minutes for me to become fully invested in this book – in these characters and their story. This book took me over with such a slow rolling intensity, I am still trying to recover from it. I don’t want to reveal too much of the plot – because – well you can’t without giving everything away and it’s so wonderful to watch it unfold as you read and I would want to take that joy away from you. 

Archer Hale isn’t your typical macho-hero-bad-boy-book-boyfriend. He is so beautifully broken. Honestly – they best way that I can think to describe him is “man-child”. I know that may sound trite, but it’s true. He is a grown man physically. He is ruggedly handsome. But he has been so unbelievably sheltered that he knows so little about social interactions and the world outside of his home. In spite of all of this, he is fiercely protective and has the biggest heart of any character I have ever read. He is an enigma – and he will go down as one of my all-time favorite book boyfriends. 

Bree is….the PERFECT heroine. She is smart, funny and kind. She is beautiful inside and out. I never once doubted her love for Archer – or anyone else that she chose to allow in her circle of friends and “family”. She is open and honest – a “play-no-games” type of girl who just wants to overcome the things that have tainted her life. She just so happens to find that peace in Archer. 

There was not a bunch of unnecessary drama and/or angst in this book. Yes, things happened. Some of them make you laugh – others make you cry – but they were legitimate experiences that added to the overall story. I loved that!

This book is hands down one of my all-time favorite stories. I loved every moment of it and the emotions it brought out in me. I laughed, cried, swooned and fell in love. A slow building solid kind of love that you feel to your bones. No doubt this book will stay with me a long time. Thank you Mia Sheridan for sharing your extraordinary talent with all of us. 


"Sometimes I think of those little pieces of fabric when life feels really messy and difficult to understand. I try to close my eyes and believe that even though I can't see the other side right then, and that the side I'm looking at is ugly and muddled, that there's a masterpiece that's being woven out of all the knots and loose strings. I try to believe that something beautiful can result from something ugly, and that there will come a time when I'll get to see what that is. You helped me see my own picture, Archer. Let me help you see yours." 

5 Emotionally Charged Stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment