Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Review of Emerge by S.E. Hall

Let me just start with this – I am not a huge fan of “love triangles” in most cases. And with most love triangles that I read, I choose my favorite and pray for the best….I’m a very decisive person, so it’s just not that difficult for me. 

Until Emerge. 

This book starts when Laney is 10. She’s the tomboy to beat all tomboys. And I love her instantly, because we are a kindred spirit. Evan goes to school with Laney, and one day steps in to “protect” her during a fight. Now, most people think at this point, Laney goes all insta-swoon and falls in love with Evan at age 10. Nope. In fact, she is rather annoyed with him. 

” ‘Thanks for inviting me, Mr. Walker. I love fishing.’ Sure he does; what a butt kisser.
“My pleasure, Evan, we’re happy to have ya’ along. Aren’t we, Laney? “ “Of course, Daddy.” I smile sweetly before continuing. “Say, Evan, you know how to bait your own hook, right?” What? I’m genuinely concerned. I don’t want to end up doing everything for the kid.”

Well Laney and Evan grow up, and they are best friends. They are “Copper and Todd” (p.s. – if you don’t understand this, get a Disney Education before reading this book!! :-) ) Their friendship is amazing, and Evan is just about as perfect as they come. I fell in love with him instantly. I wanted to give him a high five when he finally got up the courage to ask Laney out on a date! Now, let’s all just take a minute to swoon over the perfection that is Evan Allen: 

“Laney Jo Walker, I would very much like to take you out for a nice dinner this weekend. I would like to open doors and bring you flowers. You can call it, or not call it, whatever you want.” 

He sighs and cast his eyes down. “Laney, you’re that girl. The one guys make up in their head when they put all the best parts together to make one perfect girl. The man who gets you to actually pay attention, well, he’ll be the luckiest guy on the planet, and he’ll know it. All that, and the fact that you never date, is pretty damn intimidating.”
I think I speak out loud. “Are you intimidated, Evan?” He leans over, touching his forehead to mine as he takes a deep breath. His nose brushes along mine, his whisper on my lips. “Not anymore, I’m done with that, and I’m done not kissing you. All you have to do is say no, precious girl. But please, please….just say yes.” As I whisper “yes,” his mouth takes mine. 


I mean, HELLO!!! Perfection! How can you not fall in love with this boy! That’s right, you can’t!

But here’s the kicker. Laney has trust issues. She is also a realist. I’m just going to put this out there again – I love this chick. She is probably one of my favorite female characters. She isn’t a whiny little brat. She isn’t a little miss Debbie Downer. She is honest with herself and honest with everyone else. She values every relationship she has. And because of this, and the fact the she and Evan are ending up at 2 different colleges, she sits down with Evan and tells him they need to just be “friends” while they are in college. She doesn’t want to limit his experiences, and she doesn’t want to ruin their friendship if he gets tempted and cheats on her. She says it best: 

"Cheating is more than betrayal. It’s letting a selfish, physical need take over with blatant disregard for the other person’s feelings, as if they’re of no value. "

So – off we go to college where we meet Dane. And Dane is super sexy. Like “World’s Sexiest Reason to Drop Your Panties.” sexy. And I’m sitting here going….psssshhhh…. You’ve got nothing on Evan, dude. Give it up. 

But then, I am proven wrong. Not only is Dane sexy. But he is caring, strong and he wants to give Laney the world.

“I hope to make everything wonderful. If it’s not, you tell me, okay, Laney? Today and always, just tell me, and I’ll fix it.”

And so, we enter into the battle of hearts. But here is the great thing about this book. It’s not a bunch of lying and back stabbing. She is open and honest with both of the guys. She’s single. 

Dane and Evan are both in love with her. And I honestly believe that she loves both of them. And how do you choose between someone who knows been with you through your past, and someone who belongs in your future? 

I fell completely in love in this book, twice. And my heart is still torn. 

There is a slight cliffy with this one – so beware, but it’s not life altering. Absolutely worth the read!! 

And Bonus! The playlist for this book is AMAZING!!

5 Perfect Stars!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment