Sunday, March 29, 2015

REVIEW - Quiet Angel by Prescott Lane

Title: Quiet Angel
Author: Lane Prescott

Synopsis:

We all have that someone we can’t forget, the summer it all began, and the sleepless nights wondering what went wrong.

For Gage Montgomery, that someone is Layla Baxter. When he was 18, he took one look at the chocolate-haired bookworm with porcelain skin and knew his life would never be the same. But it all came crashing down when Layla suddenly and mysteriously disappeared from St. Simons Island -- leaving him with nothing but her angel wing pendent around his neck. For 12 long years, Gage couldn’t shake what happened, if he’s the one to blame, wondering where Layla might be. When their paths finally cross, he’s determined to get the answers he’s spent his life searching for -- and to get the girl, too. Quiet Angel is a story of hope, survival, and lost love made new again.

“I missed you, too, but you were never far.” Gage touched his shirt with the wings inside. “You were always there.”





Review by Linda: 4 stars
This is the first book I have read by Lane Prescott. I received this ARC for an honest review.

I was hooked from the beginning of the book.  The book has a couple of mysteries I didn’t see coming. I like when the unexpected happens in books.

Layla Baxter is all grown up. She runs a successful business with her best friend. After years of wondering what happened to Gage she sees him in an airport.


After 12 years apart Layla and Gage finally meet again. Gage wants to know what happened to her, but he is still mad about her disappearing. Layla has always wondered if he missed her or hated her.  Both are shocked seeing other, then they end up on the same flight. Layla is flying home and Gage is going to visit his Mom. I was expecting some kind of moment on the plane, but Layla went to sleep while sitting next to Gage-Seriously! Eventually, they make up from the awkward flight home.

“His heart was still hers, always hers, his head won out this time, watching her leave again, disappearing into a crowd of travelers. “

Gage Montgomery turned me into a pile of goo! Gage is a handsome, blonde hair, blue-eyed, tall, and built. Oh, I should probably mention he is a pilot. He has loved Layla since he was 18 years old. All he ever wants is to love and protect Layla.  Finally Gage starts to think with his heart and goes after Layla.

“I lost you before. I’m not about to let it happen again.”



The flow of this book was effortless. I love the authors writing style. She covered some difficult subjects without being graphic.  The book had love, pain, and a good amount of angst surrounding the mysteries. This book was slow burn and worth the wait.  There were times when I cried for Layla and Gage and times when I wanted to smack them both with my Kindle!


I laughed when I least expected it because of the secondary characters: Poppy (Layla’s best friend), Emerson (Gage’s sister), Connor, Ava, and Jacob (Emerson’s children), and Helen (Gage’s mom). The secondary characters in this book were fabulous.

“A sex bucket list?” Emerson asked.
“Yeah, every girl has one,” Poppy said.
“ I must have lost mine my list somewhere between Ava and Connor, “ Emerson said, pouring herself another glass.


I am greedy. I want a book about Poppy and Emerson because their part of the book was great. I want to know what happened. Part of this left me feeling unsettled because I didn’t get enough closure. The end was a little rushed. I loved this book, but not enough for 5 stars. The secondary characters spoke louder than Gage and Layla sometimes. Poppy overshadowed Layla in the end. Layla’s voice was heard--it was a wonderful moment, but Poppy had all the emotions. I wanted Layla to stand up, shout, kick, and scream, but she had a quiet strength.  There is nothing wrong with quiet strength, but I wanted her strength to shine brighter than Poppy because she is the survivor.


I didn’t see a warning for this book. I’m not sure if I can add it to my review.  This book could trigger strong emotions for some readers due to sexual situations.  The author covers child molestation, but it is not graphic.




No comments:

Post a Comment