Monday, October 6, 2014

Review - High Stakes by Vanessa Waltz

There are a million reasons why I should stay away from Vincent Cesare.

This was supposed to be temporary. I was supposed to deal for his illegal card games and get some quick cash. That was it. I wasn’t supposed to fall for him.

Little by little, I see the monster grinning at me through the cracks in his pretty suit. He won't tell me what he does, and I'm not sure I want to know. The darkness in his eyes terrifies me. He's seduced me into his web of lies with his charm, and now I'm trapped in his life. He's taken control over me without me even realizing...or resisting.

I'm in way over my head.

He promised that nothing would ever happen to me. The Vittorio family wants me dead and there's only one person I can turn to. But what scares me is what I'll have to do.

I'll need to become his


Sav's 5 Star review

So it looks as if this book has been getting mixed reviews. Which sucks because whoa whoa whoa. I loved it from start to finish.

This book is about Adriana. She is an ivy league student who busts her butt to care for her less than grateful mother after her dad was murdered in front of her face years prior. 

She never dresses up, never borrows money ( for fear of becoming her mother) but she looves playing cards. I'm talking poker,black jack, etc. She is fantastic at it and can count cards like none other.

One night she is invited to a less than legal card tournament with her friends. So with much debate she finally agrees to go and she even allows her friend to dress her up.

While there, one of the card dealers doesn't come in so of course she volunteers. That is where she meets the lovely domineering Vince. Such a dark and dangerous man.

"You're a sweet girl, and I'm not a good man."

"He's a monster and he wants to tempt me to his home so he can devour me."

Vince is not your average hot man. He is powerful. Beautiful. He is deadly. He is Italian mafia. Just when you think you have him all figured out, he proves you wrong. Not only does he exudes power, he is smart, kinky, and surprisingly sweet. He quickly falls for Adriana. And Adriana quickly falls for him. 

But..... Things get brought to light. Alot happens. Punches get thrown. Lives get put in jeopardy. I swear my chest hurt by the time I was finished from so much angst and fear of unknown.

This is a book that will keep you on your toes and keep you turning the pages. At times Adriana got on my nerves but I really think it fit with the storyline. I'm sure I would have been just like her had this been real life. So to me, it was realistic. The book made me gasp. Made me smile. And definitely was one I would recommend. I absolutely loved it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment