Friday, September 19, 2014

Review of Bright Side by Kim Holden



Synopsis:

Secrets. 
Everyone has one. 
Some are bigger than others. 
And when secrets are revealed, 
Some will heal you ... 
And some will end you. 

Kate Sedgwick’s life has been anything but typical. She’s endured hardship and tragedy, but throughout it all she remains happy and optimistic (there’s a reason her best friend Gus calls her Bright Side). Kate is strong-willed, funny, smart, and musically gifted. She’s also never believed in love. So when Kate leaves San Diego to attend college in the small town of Grant, Minnesota, the last thing she expects is to fall in love with Keller Banks. 

They both feel it. 
But they each have a reason to fight it. 
They each have a secret. 

And when secrets are revealed, 
Some will heal you … 
And some will end you. 

Leia's 5 Star Review:

There are a lot of books that are good. There are a few book that are great. 
And then, sometimes, you find a book that rocks you to your core. You read this unassuming book, not expecting anything really – other than a good book. Soon, you find yourself completely absorbed into the lives of these people. You are so emotionally attached the characters that you laugh when they laugh, cringe when they hurt and when their heart breaks – you shatter.

Bright Side falls into that last, rare category. You wouldn’t know it by the cover. You wouldn’t know it by the first few chapters. But somewhere between the first word and the last, this story draws you in so deeply you just know it will never let you go. 

There is nothing I can really say about the plot. Unlike most novels, this isn’t a plot-based story. It’s not about a specific event or a specific tragedy that needs to be overcome. It’s not about two people coming together to beat the odds. This whole book is about life. It is a character-driven novel that focuses on the importance of life, love and friendships. This isn’t a story of Kate and Keller. It’s a story about Kate. About her life and the people in it. The people who have touched her soul and the souls that she has touched. 

Gah. My review feels so heavy. And I guess that is because this book touched me on such a deep level – but honestly, the majority of this book, it’s funny. Kate is so witty and light-hearted that her life is so full of energy and surprise. No day is the same as the next, and there is certainly no room for regret or second guessing. 

Honestly, I have never read about book that was so centered around real life and the issues (big and small) that people deal with every day. But like I said, this book isn’t about the issues the characters face. It’s about how they face them. The admiration that I have for Kate Sedgwick and the way she lived her life is second to none. She is absolutely my favorite heroine, ever. 

Now, I will say, that it has been a long, long, long time since a book has made me cry the way this book did. I thought that my kindle would be damaged from the amount of tears I shed the last 20% of this book. Have no doubt, it was worth every. single. tear.Bright Side will surely be placed on this list of my all-time favorites. Hands down, I think that this is a book every person should read. It’s just that kind of story. 
On that note, I will leave you with this: 

“Today, my life is awesome.”
“You are brave.”
“Do. Epic.”
“I love you, baby…….I love you, baby.”
 




No comments:

Post a Comment