Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Review of Since Forever Ago by Olivia Besse


Synopsis: 

Fresh off the heels of a devastating breakup, Riley Benson is a mess. But with her ingenious plan to become a ball-busting heartbreaker herself, she’s pretty sure she’ll survive. After all, what better way is there to get revenge than to move on?

Riley’s determined to become the perfect bachelorette—she’s going to drink like a bro, belch like a beast and swear so much that she’ll make even the most seasoned sailors blush. After all, those are the qualities that every guy’s secretly looking for…. aren’t they?

Max Fletcher is in love with the girl who gave him chicken pox and his first broken leg. When his best friend seems to finally be out of the picture, he can’t help but want to keep Riley all to himself. And, after coaching her with the very best of the very worst love advice, it seems as if he might actually get what he's wanted after all those years. But just as the two come to the realization that they're actually kind of perfect for each other, along comes a secret that threatens to tear them apart.

Leia's Review: 

Since Forever Ago was a cute story. 
Though the story line wasn’t the most original, it was enjoyable. I found myself laughing through several of the situations and frustrated with others. 

Riley discovers that her boyfriend of 6 years, Noah has been cheating on her. A heart-broken Riley turns to her best friend, Max. Now, Max has harbored feeling for Riley for a long, long time. When she comes to him for dating advice, he decides to give her the most ridiculous dating advice I’ve ever heard. Most of it was on point to turn guys off immediately. 

Once Max finally tells Riley about his feelings, she realizes that she has feelings for him to. However, when her first love Noah comes back into the picture trying to win her back, things get a little confusing for Riley. And how is she supposed to choose between her best friend and her first love? 

Now, this book has been getting hit hard with bad reviews. I think that sometimes people focus on how annoyed that they are with characters, and they rate a book based on that. However, I don’t think that readers consider the fact that maybe the authorwanted that character to come across as clingy or naïve, as bitchy or sugary-sweet. Let’s keep in mind that this is a story of characters in their early 20’s. And Riley has been dating Noah for 6 years! That’s her entire adolescence. She hasn’t had the experience that most of the dating world has by the age of 21. So I tended to give her a little bit more of a break than it seems most of the other reviewers have. 

I will be honest, there were some things about this book that frustrated me beyond belief. I wanted to pull my hair out and scream. On that same token, there were parts that brought me back to my nights of crazy shenanigans with my friends and made me laugh out loud. 

Overall, was this my favorite book in the world? No. Was it as cute, fun story that I enjoyed? Yes, absolutely. 

3 Stars

I was generously provided with a copy of this book by the author via NetGalley for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment