Saturday, December 28, 2013

Review of BECK by Harper Sloan



As most of you know, my obsession with the Corps Security Men is borderline unhealthy.... these men are addictive, and Beck has been one of my favorites since the first book.

Beck and Dee have been back and forth from the beginning. I will admit that I went into this book with preconceived notions about Dee. I thought that she was flighty. I thought that she just didn't know what she wanted and was content playing games with Beck.

Well played Mrs. Sloan, because now I just want to hate myself for the judgement that I passed on her before I knew her. Dee's scars run deep. She was raised by wealth and power - but not love. Her parents considered her a burden to their fabulous lifestyle and never failed to let her know it. Dee was used by every man she ever met to get close to the power and privilege that her name offered. She has had unspeakable things happen to her for unexplainable reasons. And she goes through life letting people in just enough so that she doesn't have to let them see how truly damaged she is.
"Funny thing about these masks that people put on. I look like the happiest woman in the world. I look like I have everything that I want out of life. That everything is perfect. And that's exactly what I want people to see. But inside? Inside, I'm dying."

And then Beck comes into her life. Completely fearless, uncannily observant and devastatingly handsome. Dee knows she can't let him close because she is only going to get hurt in the end. So they begin their long lasting game of tug-o-war. The push and pull of their attraction to each other. Beck can see the hurt in her and he wants to be the one who helps her heal - but every time they get close...something happens that sends Dee right back to the past, where she hides. However, giving up isn't an option for Beck.
"And I want you right back just as much, so don't think this isn't hard on me, too. I'm not going anywhere, Dee. You might think you are ready, and I have no doubt that your body is, but I want it all. Mind, body, soul and heart. I promise you that when we finally get there, it's going to be worth the wait. When you open yourself up to me completely....Baby, you won't even believe how good it's going to be."

(^^^^^ Um, swoon much??)

I love that this book went back to the beginning. For one, I get to relive a lot of my favorite moments through another set of eyes - but also the way it provided the background on Beck and Dee so that your earlier reservations about their relationship being superficial and completely demolished. It was genius.

This book is full of of emotional turmoil and inner demons - but don't worry! You still get the light-hearted banter and witty comments that we love from the Corps Crew. Oh, and lest I forget....plenty of "holy-wow-fan-yourself" hot moments with Beck...I'm talking furniture breaking, powerful stuff. :-)

Now it must be said that the last 20% of this book will break your heart. It's just an out-of-the-nowhere-how-can-this-possibly-be-happening moment. And I won't lie, I went back and re-read a few parts over and over because I felt like an anvil had been dropped on my head.

Just know - this book is worth every tear you shed. It is a beautifully written continuation to one of my all time favorite series. Harper Sloan has truly out done herself with this one. I can promise that you won't be disappointed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment