Sunday, October 20, 2013

Review of Permanent by Kim Carmichael

“Don’t you think people can change?” She moved closer, the constriction in her stomach subsiding a bit when he pulled her against him.
“I doubt it.” He kissed the top of her head.
“What if they work really hard on it?” She swallowed the lump in her throat.
“If they have to work so hard, maybe they shouldn’t try to change in the first place.”

Lindsay Stevens is all about change. She has uprooted her life in Ohio. She dyed her hair, bleached her teeth, went shopping for all new tailored suits and sky high heels and purchased brand new furniture for her new apartment in Hollywood.

You see, Lindsay is a nerd. As an accountant, she has a way with numbers. She always has. Lindsay is also highly attracted to the stereotypical bad boy who wants nothing from her except for her help when they are in a bind. And she is done with her life. So, she reinvents herself and moved to a prestigious corporate accounting firm in California.

And who should happen to fall into her life??? That's right!!! Her tattooed, bad-boy neighbor - Shane Elliot.

Shane is a renowned tattoo artist. He owns Permanent Tattoo - the tattoo parlor to the stars. Shane also happens to be in deep trouble with the IRS. Trouble that he has been avoiding like the plague.

So - after Shane saves Lindsay from killing herself by trying to unpack her house in her new stilettos - Lindsay owes him - and she agrees to help him with his "tax situation".

This story is stock full of humor and quirkiness. I loved it!! You would think that Shane, being the tattooed bad boy would automatically be some super Alpha Male - and you would be wrong!! He is so unbelievably sweet and charming. I loved him so much!

Lindsay grew on me. I'm not going to lie - I kinda wanted to smack her more than once. But I had to remind myself that she's been hurt before - the exact same way it seemed that Shane was using her. In the end - I loved her.

Be not fooled, my dear ones - though this is a story about Shane and Lindsay - the "secondary" characters are almost as vital to this story as Shane, himself. I loved, loved, loved Emily, Carson and especially Ivan!!

As Shane struggles with being enough for Lindsay, and she fights with her past - they have to learn to rely on each other and trust in the one solid thing that they have built together - their relationship.

But is love enough?? When one person is lying to herself about who she is and the other is changing into something he's not to please her?

Was it a desperately emotional book that changed my life? No.

Was is stuffed full of angst and tears? No.

Would I recommend it? Abso-freakin-lutely!

This book is fun! It's an easy, relaxing read that had me smiling a lot. I am looking so forward to the next book in this series!

*This can be read as a stand-alone*
4.5 Permanent Stars!!!!
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment